The Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum was started in Toronto by Bruce Prentice in the early 1980’s. The main two homes for the Hall of Fame in Toronto were Exhibition Place and Ontario Place. Unfortunately in 1989 the Hall of Fame had to close it doors in Toronto.
During the early 1990’s 12 cities expressed interest in becoming the new home for the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. The top 2 cities were Guelph and St. Marys and St. Marys won the bidding process on August 25, 1994 and became the new home for the Hall of Fame.
The Hall of Fame officially opened in St. Marys on June 4, 1998.
The Hall of Fame is located in St. Marys for two main reasons. The first being the historic reference to the first recorded game of baseball in North America. It took place in Beachville, Ontario (30 minutes south of St. Marys) on June 4, 1838 and was written about by St. Marys native Adam Ford in the 1886 Sporting Life magazine. Adam was also the Mayor of St. Marys and a Doctor in St. Marys. The other main reason is the donation of 32 acres of land by the St. Marys Cement Company. The St. Marys Rotary Club was the first club to join hands with the Hall of Fame and help establish what we have today.
Also, a local firm called the St. Marys Wood Specialty Company added the production of baseball bats to its production line at the turn of the 20th century and the wood company stated in St. Marys until 1933 when it moved to Hespeler, Ontario.